Monday, December 23, 2013

Transitions

Transitions have always been hard for me, for as long as I can remember. I often joke that I'd still be in high school if they let me (and it's completely true-- they basically had to push me out!!) The crazy thing is, I didn't want to leave high school (or elementary, or junior high) because it was so much FUN, but every time I have been forced to move, it's been absolutely amazing and I enjoy the new stage even better than that last.

Today, I witnessed a similar reaction in Kennedy. We decided to try out the toddler bed during these couple of weeks when I'm around home a lot more frequently, so Jake took down the crib today. I took her in to watch so she was along for the process, and she immediately started crying, saying "no, no, no!" and wanted us to lift her into her crib, even though the bedding and mattress were removed. It actually broke my heart because I was feeling nostalgic for the transition and sad that my baby girl was no longer going to be sleeping in her crib, like she did since she was a tiny baby. It brought back memories of the first nights in her crib, when she was so tiny it literally swallowed her up. Then it made me think of the more recent days when she would ask to get in her crib so she could bounce around, jump and spin in circles and fall down. And of course the times I'd climb into her crib with her to be silly, cuddle, soothe her, and pretend to go to sleep.

Gosh we've had a fun 21 months with that crib. She has become an amazingly good sleeper (she generally sleeps straight through from 7:30 or 8pm for almost 12 hours!) and she's never fussed about going to bed. Sure, we've had multiple nights with a dozen wake ups, but it's never been due to a dislike for her crib.

So now, as we prepare for Baby Sister, we decided to put some time between her use of the crib and her little sister's use of the crib, so there *hopefully* isn't bedroom envy. After the initial "no, no, no!" Jake set up the toddler bed and she gave us a huge smile, crawled right up and bounced around like it was her new favorite toy.

You see, the change curve starts with denial, then resistance, then exploration, then commitment. I'd say we skipped through denial and resistance pretty quickly, then she spent the late morning exploring the possibilities (constantly running to her room to jump and play on her new bed) and by nap time, she was committed.


And now she's sleeping like an angel, and tomorrow is Christmas Eve and all feels right with the world. I have a feeling the first part of 2014 is going to shake things up a bit-- professionally, personally, and when we welcome a new member to our family. But right now, all I feel is peace.

Merry Christmas to you all!! May you be blessed, healthy and happy as you think about the coming year and all of the possibilities ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment