This video is WORTH WATCHING. It's just a completely true, beautiful depiction of what matters. And I'm so glad to be presented with this video when I'm 31, not 35 --- not because I'm at all ahead of my time, but because that means I get four more years during which I'll savor the fact that I'm not yet 35. It's still out in front of me, a series of moments waiting to be had.
I've always been a very time-conscious person. Not in the sense of always being "on time," more in the sense of feeling it pass by, and making sure I'm squeezing the most out of my time in every possible way. Passing time in high school was seven minutes long, and I'd strategically plan a fast trip to the bathroom on my walk to my locker where I could quickly convene with my friends for four of those seven minutes. I find that when I'm walking TO something, I walk a lot faster than when I'm walking with a friend, when we're already where we want to be. I value free time, time with loved ones, time to do what I want to do. I hurry through parts of life that just don't seem to matter as much, because those moments that do matter are far more precious. And I want to seize every moment that I possibly can.
I do realize that every moment can't be amazing, that I need to live through the mundane to appreciate the exciting. But what I love about the man in this video - he doesn't settle for more mundane moments than he absolutely has to. He realizes that other things - materials, money, fancy things - are not the key to happiness. When we're old, we won't look back and wish we had more luxury cars; we'll simply want time with our loved ones. We'll want moments.
A leader at work this week talked about how everything can be measured in one of three ways - money/cost, quality (things), or time. We can spend our money on more things, we can spend our time to make more money, we can spend money (example: paid vacation) to get free time. My upcoming maternity leave will pay me for 6 weeks, and I can ultimately go unpaid (forego money) to get more time - another 6-10 weeks with my newborn and family. Of course I'll do as much of this as possible!
I just love this video and want everyone to watch it. Especially in our society there is so much pressure to do and be and have it all - which is simply not possible. We need to prioritize and get in our right mindset so we can achieve abundance, and we'll only be able to make this happen by focusing in on what's important. So what do you say - where do you focus your efforts?
I've always been a very time-conscious person. Not in the sense of always being "on time," more in the sense of feeling it pass by, and making sure I'm squeezing the most out of my time in every possible way. Passing time in high school was seven minutes long, and I'd strategically plan a fast trip to the bathroom on my walk to my locker where I could quickly convene with my friends for four of those seven minutes. I find that when I'm walking TO something, I walk a lot faster than when I'm walking with a friend, when we're already where we want to be. I value free time, time with loved ones, time to do what I want to do. I hurry through parts of life that just don't seem to matter as much, because those moments that do matter are far more precious. And I want to seize every moment that I possibly can.
I do realize that every moment can't be amazing, that I need to live through the mundane to appreciate the exciting. But what I love about the man in this video - he doesn't settle for more mundane moments than he absolutely has to. He realizes that other things - materials, money, fancy things - are not the key to happiness. When we're old, we won't look back and wish we had more luxury cars; we'll simply want time with our loved ones. We'll want moments.
A leader at work this week talked about how everything can be measured in one of three ways - money/cost, quality (things), or time. We can spend our money on more things, we can spend our time to make more money, we can spend money (example: paid vacation) to get free time. My upcoming maternity leave will pay me for 6 weeks, and I can ultimately go unpaid (forego money) to get more time - another 6-10 weeks with my newborn and family. Of course I'll do as much of this as possible!
I just love this video and want everyone to watch it. Especially in our society there is so much pressure to do and be and have it all - which is simply not possible. We need to prioritize and get in our right mindset so we can achieve abundance, and we'll only be able to make this happen by focusing in on what's important. So what do you say - where do you focus your efforts?
No comments:
Post a Comment