Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Stability of the JOB

I've been with the same company for almost half my life. It's been a blessing, but I've always wondered if it will last forever. Things can't really last forever, right? So what does that inevitable end look like?

Yesterday, I found out that my job may not be as secure as I would have hoped. While I'm not getting into details, it's a reality check for me. In a moment where there are questions, it's easy to jump to sheer panic and frustration. I'm definitely taking a positive approach- I keep telling myself if it happens, it's a sign. Jake and I talked right away and determined that we're going to be okay. We don't know exactly what *okay* looks like, but we know it is possible. We have built our life around options - living on less than we need to, getting great educations, starting business ventures, being marketable in the world. The instability may pass - for which we will be grateful. In the meantime, lots of good vibes, focus, mental positivity, and prayers.

Another thing this brings to light is how we often pour our identities into our jobs (especially those of us who are achievers), but that our job doesn't need to define us. In fact, WE should define us, and our jobs should complement that. I'll still be Allison no matter what happens - I will still have my talents and gifts and flaws, my amazing family and friends, my hopes and dreams and plans for the future.

I am a professional, a businesswoman, but most importantly I am a wife and a mom. These are the things I'll look back on when I focus on what really mattered in life -- and I'll be so thankful to have built my life with my role as mom and wife as my guiding focus.

And now, building a business feels even more serendipitous- it gives me some of that diversification I crave. Experiences I can grasp onto and sink my teeth into, as I reach out and share what I'm doing with more people, and I watch what I share change lives through health and wealth. Exhilarating! A big part of this is about having a vision of what you want your life to be-- I urge you to look back at the last 5 years and look ahead at the next 5 years. What do you want to be the same? What do you want to be different? It could be anything-- the way you feel, the way you look, your priorities, your attitude, the things you focus your time and energy on. I'm urging myself to live the life I have always dreamed of living-- and I challenge you to do the same! If not now, then when? #startyourlife

No comments:

Post a Comment