Thursday, December 5, 2013

How to Find Happiness

This article has really stuck with me. Even though it was written over 2.5 years ago, and I probably read it sometime back then, I often find myself thinking of various points from the article. I think some of these points are harder for me than others, but I'm sure we each have our handful that make us think. A few I'd specifically call out:

  • #1: I grew up in a family of wanting to be right. And I completely agree with asking the question "Would I rather be right or would I rather be kind?"It doesn't feel good to hear "told you so" or be on the receiving end of patronizing or condescending behavior. No one keeps tally of who is right. It goes back to another quote that I truly try to live by: “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou
  • #2: NEED FOR CONTROL - it's an exhausting thing. I've learned from a variety of well-respected individuals that life is actually easier when I let go! Who wouldn't want to take some of the burden off, the pressure off the situation? I add stress to my life when I try to control something, and that's no fun for anyone!
  • #5: This is something I'm really working on. There are so many things that are believed to be truths in this world. However, the more I think about them the more I question whether they are really true or just a commonly held belief I've had based on how I grew up and how I was raised.  I will only do as much as I believe I can do. If I constantly put a limit on what I can accomplish, that limit will stop me from reaching my full potential. I'm learning this in my business building process right now as well. Quit the self-doubt - and you'll be healthier in the long run.
  • #7: LOVE THIS- and this one is easy for me to believe in. Since when did we think we had the right to criticize things just because they're different from what we know? Similarly to #2, being critical is exhausting and letting go of the need for criticism is actually an easier way to live!
  • #15: Other people's expectations. I have absolutely spent so much of my life trying to make other people happy, make them proud, impress them by what I can accomplish. And now, I'm learning that by setting my own standards of happiness I can still bring happiness and leave an impression on others; however, it's on my terms, not theirs. I have been taking part in regular self-prioritization exercises in my mind - where I continue to rank things I'm focused on in order of priority. This has helped me let go where necessary and really focus on building the life I want. Because in the end, I'm the only one living my life - so I'd hope I build one that makes me happy. In fact, I hope you do the same, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment