Sunday, December 1, 2013

Rule Breaker

Tonight I broke the rules. One specific rule, actually. I broke THE rule of parenting: never wake a sleeping baby. I just had to see her! As I've noted to my husband Jake, I often feel that the invention of the video monitor (while a very GOOD thing) takes away a little bit of that beauty of watching our children sleep. We can see them on the screen, so why would we dare go into the room to make sure they're alright? My parents used to go in and cover us with blankets on a regular basis. So I've decided that every so often it'd be okay to tiptoe in and watch her sleep. With the light of my cell phone, I open the door ever so carefully and just gaze over her; I notice how she looks just like she did when she slept as a newborn.


Yes, she actually still looks just like this. It's just really hard to get a good picture of her sleeping now because she wakes up so much easier. So back to tonight. Yes, tonight when I tiptoed in, she did wake up. Like, completely. She sprung right up to sitting, and I kind of freaked out for a second, but decided to just enjoy the moment. So I grabbed her and her taggie, pulled her out of her crib and laid her on my lap, rocking her. And she nuzzled in and fell right back to sleep in my arms! It was so sweet. At one point she sighed and said, "Mom," in a very soft but clear way. It was all very sweet. So I rubbed her back, played with her hair, and just cherished the moment. 

Really, who cares about the rules sometimes? Sometimes we have to throw common sense and conventional wisdom out the window to really enjoy life, to expand upon our thinking. Someone wise recently told me, "Think outside the box; you're the one who created it, anyway."  Often we are afraid to try something new, take risks, be bold. But those who squeeze every ounce out of life HAVE to fall hard into something at some point, right? 

This moment was perfect. It may not happen exactly the same ever again, but I will seek out a million more opportunities for moments like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment