Today, life is NOT a honeymoon. Not for the families in Connecticut, not really for any of us. I learned of this tragedy around Noon today, just a couple hours after it happened. My heart has been heavy ever since.
Put aside the politics, just let's come up with a new way. How many more tragedies will there be? I saw lots of posts on my Facebook news feed today, and they've made me really think.
Post #1: "If only access to mental healthcare were as easy as access to guns..." It's really probably both, along with a whole other host of things. Let's do it all. Let's make some changes, and make them quickly.
Post #2: Other countries don't have these problems. I saw a thread that included comments from an Australian, Canadian, and Spaniard, saying these problems don't exist there and asking what is wrong with America? I really am wondering this myself. We are so advanced, but somehow so stifled. Can we please learn from some of these more peaceful countries? This graph is alarming: Graph of Assault Deaths per capita The entire article here. (graph includes countries in the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development: www.oecd.org)
Post #3: Other countries do have these problems. And sadly, today as well. (Article: China knife attack at school) Note that the weapon was a knife, and 23 were injured, not dead. Of course we will never rid this world of hateful acts, but let's do what we can to keep eliminate casualties. In no way do I want to minimize the gravity of this knife attack, but the knife situation sure ended differently than the gun situation, didn't it?
Post #4: "People's right to bear arms infringing on people's right to live. Which is really more important?" Yes, we are America, the land of the free. But with so much freedom, there is also a cost. We pay the price when one person's exercised freedom directly hinders the safety and security of another.
Post #5: "If someone in the school were armed, think of how many lives could have been saved?" Really. If someone in the school were armed. That's what we want? Teachers, school officials, administrators should now obtain guns and be prepared to use them? One armed person is dangerous but two or more brings safety?
It's time to swallow any pride about being right or wrong. Polarizing Plan A doesn't work, and polarizing Plan B probably won't either. I spend lots of time in general thinking about the concept of a paradigm, or "a typical example or pattern of something." We all know things to be truths in our life. We shape our truths based on what we know, based on the way things have always been. And we create absolute statements based on what we know to be true. For example, as kids, we knew we could always expect snow by Christmas because that's what we'd observed every year. We counted on it. But then, what happens to our perceived truth when we don't get snow one year? No snow angels or sledding on Christmas. It's different. Our truth and our point of view has to shift. (Simple example, but you get the point)
Let's try things differently. In business, if we don't have something right, our bosses tell us to go back to the drawing board and figure it out. We must come away with a plan. The argument about whether to go with Plan A or Plan B won't fly. We MUST put aside our differences and come up with something (Plan C?) I'd expect the same thing of those in charge of policies and protecting our country here, too. I certainly don't have the answers, I'm just looking for some progress towards finding the answers.
Tonight, Kennedy nursed and I rocked her, while saying a prayer for the victims of this awful day. I couldn't come up with many words, but all I could pray for is peace. Peace for the victims, peace for the other children who witnessed and will forever be scarred by this event, peace for those injured who now must heal. Peace for our country. There were far too many physical injuries today, and the number of emotional injuries is insurmountable.
While cooking tonight, I listened to Christmas music:
So here's my lifelong wish
My grown-up Christmas list
Not for myself
But for a world in need
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Silent Night, Holy Night,
All is calm, All is bright
Lots of bright little stars shining down on us from Heaven tonight. May they be forever in our hearts, and their families find comfort in their warmth that will be with us always.
Put aside the politics, just let's come up with a new way. How many more tragedies will there be? I saw lots of posts on my Facebook news feed today, and they've made me really think.
Post #1: "If only access to mental healthcare were as easy as access to guns..." It's really probably both, along with a whole other host of things. Let's do it all. Let's make some changes, and make them quickly.
Post #2: Other countries don't have these problems. I saw a thread that included comments from an Australian, Canadian, and Spaniard, saying these problems don't exist there and asking what is wrong with America? I really am wondering this myself. We are so advanced, but somehow so stifled. Can we please learn from some of these more peaceful countries? This graph is alarming: Graph of Assault Deaths per capita The entire article here. (graph includes countries in the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development: www.oecd.org)
Post #3: Other countries do have these problems. And sadly, today as well. (Article: China knife attack at school) Note that the weapon was a knife, and 23 were injured, not dead. Of course we will never rid this world of hateful acts, but let's do what we can to keep eliminate casualties. In no way do I want to minimize the gravity of this knife attack, but the knife situation sure ended differently than the gun situation, didn't it?
Post #4: "People's right to bear arms infringing on people's right to live. Which is really more important?" Yes, we are America, the land of the free. But with so much freedom, there is also a cost. We pay the price when one person's exercised freedom directly hinders the safety and security of another.
Post #5: "If someone in the school were armed, think of how many lives could have been saved?" Really. If someone in the school were armed. That's what we want? Teachers, school officials, administrators should now obtain guns and be prepared to use them? One armed person is dangerous but two or more brings safety?
It's time to swallow any pride about being right or wrong. Polarizing Plan A doesn't work, and polarizing Plan B probably won't either. I spend lots of time in general thinking about the concept of a paradigm, or "a typical example or pattern of something." We all know things to be truths in our life. We shape our truths based on what we know, based on the way things have always been. And we create absolute statements based on what we know to be true. For example, as kids, we knew we could always expect snow by Christmas because that's what we'd observed every year. We counted on it. But then, what happens to our perceived truth when we don't get snow one year? No snow angels or sledding on Christmas. It's different. Our truth and our point of view has to shift. (Simple example, but you get the point)
Let's try things differently. In business, if we don't have something right, our bosses tell us to go back to the drawing board and figure it out. We must come away with a plan. The argument about whether to go with Plan A or Plan B won't fly. We MUST put aside our differences and come up with something (Plan C?) I'd expect the same thing of those in charge of policies and protecting our country here, too. I certainly don't have the answers, I'm just looking for some progress towards finding the answers.
Tonight, Kennedy nursed and I rocked her, while saying a prayer for the victims of this awful day. I couldn't come up with many words, but all I could pray for is peace. Peace for the victims, peace for the other children who witnessed and will forever be scarred by this event, peace for those injured who now must heal. Peace for our country. There were far too many physical injuries today, and the number of emotional injuries is insurmountable.
While cooking tonight, I listened to Christmas music:
So here's my lifelong wish
My grown-up Christmas list
Not for myself
But for a world in need
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Silent Night, Holy Night,
All is calm, All is bright
Lots of bright little stars shining down on us from Heaven tonight. May they be forever in our hearts, and their families find comfort in their warmth that will be with us always.
No comments:
Post a Comment