Sunday, December 2, 2012

So Thankful Indeed.

It's been over a week since Thanksgiving, and I still owe the blogosphere my A-Z thankfulness for the year. Oh, so much to be thankful for in this blessed year of 2012. One I will surely never forget.
  • Apples. I truly love a good crisp apple, or baked dessert, including my grandmother's scrumptious homemade pie that my mother recreated on Thanksgiving this year. (I had 2 slices!)
  • Books. Yes, tons of books. This year, my books have shifted from topics of young adult vampire romances and bow-and-arrow-wielding archer girls, to books on breastfeeding, month-by-month baby milestones, and that elusive sleep we keep hearing about. But nonetheless, I love poring through them for whatever they provide. I went through an "I don't like books" stage, and I realized I was selecting the wrong books. I'm so glad that's over!
  • Callaway. Yes, this year especially, she has been the most patient, loving, loyal little puppy. Okay not always patient, but definitely the other two. She's learning how to share time and attention, and she's still got her same special place in my heart.
  • Diaper Genie - this thing is genius! We love how the diapers just disappear, and when we remove the cartridge, just how many diapers we've contained in that tiny tube. I guess I am also thankful for diapers, and my ability to change them quickly. 
  • ECFE classes. Kennedy and I took one together when she was 3-9 weeks old, and it was delightful. She slept through most of it, but I got to see kids from 0-12 months and learn from the other moms and our instructor. I want to do more of these things with her!
  • Family and Friends. I know that everyone thinks this, but mine are simply the best. ;)
  • Grandparents, specifically, the four who became new grandparents the day that Kennedy was born. I had such a special relationship with each of my grandparents through our time together, and it is so neat to see how Kennedy will get to form these bonds too.
  • Home. I don't think of myself as an introvert, but I'm learning just how much I love being at home. Because Jake works nights and Kennedy goes to bed, I find more time at home this year than ever before (being done with grad school helps, too!)
  • Ideas. I have learned this year how much I love the ideation process, especially at work. I like taking an ambiguous problem and creating ways to solve it. Of course, by coming up with good ideas.
  • Jake, who is the best daddy to our little girl. I truly could not make it through this first year of mommyhood without him. He is a total support system and our rock!
  • Kennedy (obvious answer). I keep saying "I was born to be a mom." It's simply true.
  • Learning - which has involved both graduating with my MBA earlier this year, as well as learning some fun new hobbies, including cooking new recipes, and how to take pictures in manual mode on my DSLR camera. I am really enjoying my hobby time!
  • Meal swap. This year, some friends and I started a meal swap, where we make a bunch of the same meal and swap about once a month. This means convenient freezer meals, new recipes, saving money through cooking bulk, and honestly great food. I really love meal swap!
  • Noodles and Co., definitely one of my favorite "fast food" restaurants. I always say this is one of two restaurants missing from downtown (the other one is Buffalo Wild Wings).
  • Old friends who have been around for a long time. Even my college friends have been around for over 10 years! And high school friends - we're looking at 15+. When Kennedy was born, it was neat to see who came by to visit and show support. We've got a great group surrounding us.
  • Pinecones. Specifically, the addition of the new golden pinecone on this year's Thanksgiving table at my Mom and Dad's house. (see below)
  • Quiet. As in, when the baby is sleeping, and we have time to relax, and I can hear myself think. Or sleep well at night. (This is much harder to come by as of late!)
  • Raffi. Yes, Raffi has taken over my iTunes, and is played sometimes even when I'm the only one listening. How can anyone not be in a good mood while listening to Raffi?
  • Singing competitions, and more specifically, The Voice. This has been an awesome show for Jake and I to watch this year. We watched last season during my maternity leave while Kennedy was a sleepy little being on the couch or in our arms, and we're digging this season after she goes to bed.
  • Time. Time to think, time to practice hobbies (namely cooking, photography, reading, writing), time to hold my loves in my arms, time to close my eyes and relax. I have really learned the true importance of time for these things, especially when our family feels stretched a little thinner these days. 
  • Unconditional relationships. I often think of this concept and how important it is to me. I really hate conditional relationships - the ones that are fickle and can change based on a disagreement, mistake, or other discord. The best ones are those who still love me when I'm tired, crabby, stressed, my house is cluttered, my hair and makeup are undone, or any combination of the above. YOU deserve these kinds of relationships, too. 
  • Vampires, and the grand finale that came to theaters this month. I do love a good vampire saga.
  • Work friends, who are now just friends who I work with. There are a handful of people at work who are truly amazing, loving, caring people in my life. They are the ones who give me happiness throughout the workday, since we spend so much time working. They give perspective, and are my ultimate support. You know who you are. :)
  • X-pressiveness. I would absolutely say Kennedy's best personality trait is how expressive she is, pretty much all the time. Lately, the best is how she gets around other babies/kids, where she can hardly contain her excitement in "talking" to them. I know I cheated on the letter, but it counts.
  • Yogurt Lab. This was an awesome new addition to the Twin Cities, and we've enjoyed making our own desserts there countless times! What a great thing to do in the summer. Ah, summer.
  • Zebras. I saw some this year at the San Diego Zoo (below) with five great friends, when we were celebrating turning 30. I guess I could also say zoos.



No comments:

Post a Comment