I've written a lot of love notes over the course of my life. Some of them I didn't send - they were just to get the words off my chest. Others went to the recipient, only to find that my love was unrequited. Every now and then, I'd share my love note and receive the same sentiment in return. !! Yes, there were a handful of boys over the years with whom I shared those giddy, excited romantic feelings with, and thoughts of those boys consumed far too much of my life from ages 15-25.
Now I've got a whole new form of love to write about. And I find myself wanting to write about it often. The idea of falling IN LOVE with your child is hard to understand when only familiar with the romantic kind, but this kind is oh so true.
Kennedy and I have been getting to know each other now - outside of pregnancy - for 3.5 weeks. During these weeks, I'm finding waves of love that take different forms. Some are protective, others are patient, compassionate, generous, maternal. And some are gushing. I've been reading about ways to bond with your baby, and some of the best ways come from the most primitive actions, things that all mammals do. Spend time sleeping closely. Stroke their hair. Hold their hands. Look into their eyes. Feed them. Clean them.
Because our 24/7 unlimited time is, well, limited, I'm trying to really take it all in. Live in the moment, breathe deeply. When she decided she was done sleeping in her crib around 7am, we spent the rest of the morning together in my bed just cuddling. Literally until Noon! Housework and bills can wait. We have this time together to bond, and who really cares about anything else at the moment?
Many people have told me I am a very laid back new mom, and that makes me happy. I think a few things have helped me be this way: Kennedy's father, who I love deeply (he keeps me calm), my ridiculously awesome support system of family and friends, and perspective on what matters right now. Time together, getting to know one another and be together. This little face. Falling in love in a whole new way, and capturing those feelings in my mind (words and pictures help with this, too). I've always been a hopeless romantic. I just hadn't equated parenting with this new super awesome kind of romance. But I'm pretty glad I've found it.
Now I've got a whole new form of love to write about. And I find myself wanting to write about it often. The idea of falling IN LOVE with your child is hard to understand when only familiar with the romantic kind, but this kind is oh so true.
Kennedy and I have been getting to know each other now - outside of pregnancy - for 3.5 weeks. During these weeks, I'm finding waves of love that take different forms. Some are protective, others are patient, compassionate, generous, maternal. And some are gushing. I've been reading about ways to bond with your baby, and some of the best ways come from the most primitive actions, things that all mammals do. Spend time sleeping closely. Stroke their hair. Hold their hands. Look into their eyes. Feed them. Clean them.
Because our 24/7 unlimited time is, well, limited, I'm trying to really take it all in. Live in the moment, breathe deeply. When she decided she was done sleeping in her crib around 7am, we spent the rest of the morning together in my bed just cuddling. Literally until Noon! Housework and bills can wait. We have this time together to bond, and who really cares about anything else at the moment?
Many people have told me I am a very laid back new mom, and that makes me happy. I think a few things have helped me be this way: Kennedy's father, who I love deeply (he keeps me calm), my ridiculously awesome support system of family and friends, and perspective on what matters right now. Time together, getting to know one another and be together. This little face. Falling in love in a whole new way, and capturing those feelings in my mind (words and pictures help with this, too). I've always been a hopeless romantic. I just hadn't equated parenting with this new super awesome kind of romance. But I'm pretty glad I've found it.
No comments:
Post a Comment