Today I spent about 4 hours watching Boy Meets World. Oh, how a few hours with Cory and Topanga can really bring a person back down memory lane. Kennedy was in and out of sleep, enjoying some tummy time, and just chilling through much of the day. It was so rainy that we couldn't go for a walk.
I was thinking a bit about what I might be doing on a day like today before Kennedy. It's sort of strange to thing about. It feels like forever ago. I probably would have slept in late, gone out to lunch and done something for myself - such as getting a facial or going shopping. Maybe the mall, TJ Maxx, DSW, Target. Probably Panera. I know one thing - I would have felt restless laying on the couch watching Boy Meets World all day. But that's one benefit to being a new mom: I get to enjoy a bit slower pace for awhile (especially until she walks!) and focus on the little things.
During her alert times, we read 2 books: Barnyard Dance and Dr. Seuss' ABC book. Both are wonderful! She was so mesmerized by the pages, the colors and images on the books (I know she can't see everything clearly yet). She made these little faces like she was completely listening and understanding my words. And when the book ended, as long as she was interested, we flipped back to the beginning and read it again!
A friend told me when she had her first baby that she, being always "on the go", didn't realize how much down time there would be just sitting around with a newborn. She warned me that it might be hard. Yes, I definitely notice the difference, but it's not hard; in fact, it's a welcome change. I think back to where I was 6 months ago, literally running from one end of downtown to the other, going from work to school 2-3 nights a week, postponing bathroom breaks, shoving dinner in my mouth in my parking spot at the U. This is definitely a welcome change.
While I'm loving it, I do have to remind myself to take in the slow moments, instead of falling into boredom. Enjoy Cory and Topanga, but then turn the TV off and enjoy silence too. Close my eyes and listen to the sound of my daughter cooing. Her gurgles and *almost* giggles. Open my eyes and stare into her face, have a conversation with her as though we're just old friends catching up. Envelop her in my arms, lay her on my chest and feel her tiny hand grasp mine, her warm breath on my neck. The slow pace is dreamy, easy to fall back into, and far too often forgotten.
I was thinking a bit about what I might be doing on a day like today before Kennedy. It's sort of strange to thing about. It feels like forever ago. I probably would have slept in late, gone out to lunch and done something for myself - such as getting a facial or going shopping. Maybe the mall, TJ Maxx, DSW, Target. Probably Panera. I know one thing - I would have felt restless laying on the couch watching Boy Meets World all day. But that's one benefit to being a new mom: I get to enjoy a bit slower pace for awhile (especially until she walks!) and focus on the little things.
During her alert times, we read 2 books: Barnyard Dance and Dr. Seuss' ABC book. Both are wonderful! She was so mesmerized by the pages, the colors and images on the books (I know she can't see everything clearly yet). She made these little faces like she was completely listening and understanding my words. And when the book ended, as long as she was interested, we flipped back to the beginning and read it again!
A friend told me when she had her first baby that she, being always "on the go", didn't realize how much down time there would be just sitting around with a newborn. She warned me that it might be hard. Yes, I definitely notice the difference, but it's not hard; in fact, it's a welcome change. I think back to where I was 6 months ago, literally running from one end of downtown to the other, going from work to school 2-3 nights a week, postponing bathroom breaks, shoving dinner in my mouth in my parking spot at the U. This is definitely a welcome change.
While I'm loving it, I do have to remind myself to take in the slow moments, instead of falling into boredom. Enjoy Cory and Topanga, but then turn the TV off and enjoy silence too. Close my eyes and listen to the sound of my daughter cooing. Her gurgles and *almost* giggles. Open my eyes and stare into her face, have a conversation with her as though we're just old friends catching up. Envelop her in my arms, lay her on my chest and feel her tiny hand grasp mine, her warm breath on my neck. The slow pace is dreamy, easy to fall back into, and far too often forgotten.

No comments:
Post a Comment