In a recent post, I had mentioned my endeavor to create a blanket out of old t-shirts. See, over the years I've saved all of these t-shirts from college intramurals, sorority banquets, concerts, and South American travels. To name a few. While getting ready for baby, I've realized I can't just keep all of these t-shirts in a dresser in the laundry room. I'm going to need that dresser to juggle our ever growing closets between seasons!
So, three good friends and I got together over four weekends this winter, cut our squares and pieced them together by sewing rows and columns and batting and backing. We each have our own memories to patch into our own t-shirt blanket. Mine consists of 30 brightly colored squares, and here it is:
I'm such a sucker for memories and nostalgia, and by working on this blanket I've been able to revisit some of the best times in my life. Of course lately, I've been a bit more nostalgic when thinking of my "past life" than usual, as I'm starting to make a huge transition and look forward into what will become a "new normal" - that is the life of being a mommy, of caring for someone and loving someone in a completely new way. And of sharing those moments with my daughter's daddy, knowing that our marriage will only be as strong as we allow ourselves to make it. We're about to embark on a crazy adventure called parenting, and while some days it is bound to feel impossible, it is SO going to be worth it.
I also have this feeling that the next 30 t-shirts that are gathered in this house will be those displaying memories that our daughter has yet to experience, and I look forward to patching together a blanket some day for her to carry her favorite memories with her always.
So, three good friends and I got together over four weekends this winter, cut our squares and pieced them together by sewing rows and columns and batting and backing. We each have our own memories to patch into our own t-shirt blanket. Mine consists of 30 brightly colored squares, and here it is:
I'm such a sucker for memories and nostalgia, and by working on this blanket I've been able to revisit some of the best times in my life. Of course lately, I've been a bit more nostalgic when thinking of my "past life" than usual, as I'm starting to make a huge transition and look forward into what will become a "new normal" - that is the life of being a mommy, of caring for someone and loving someone in a completely new way. And of sharing those moments with my daughter's daddy, knowing that our marriage will only be as strong as we allow ourselves to make it. We're about to embark on a crazy adventure called parenting, and while some days it is bound to feel impossible, it is SO going to be worth it.
I also have this feeling that the next 30 t-shirts that are gathered in this house will be those displaying memories that our daughter has yet to experience, and I look forward to patching together a blanket some day for her to carry her favorite memories with her always.

No comments:
Post a Comment