Thursday, March 22, 2012

Matters of the Heart

Pinch me. No, I'm serious, I think I need to be pinched. I think I'm dreaming. My mind just cannot truly comprehend what has happened in my life over the last 5 days.

It is Thursday. Now I'm thinking back to last Thursday, when I came home from work, hot and uncomfortable, curled up on the couch with Callie to watch TV. I watched E! News, and felt sad that Grey's wasn't new, because I was all caught up on our shows - what was I going to fill the time with? I figured it'd be another night of laying around, making dinner, maybe a bath to relieve my constant discomfort. And it was.

Then Friday. Friday was THE DUE DATE. Like she should be here by now. It was also my last doctor's appointment, when I learned that my doctor would let me be pregnant for one more week before inducing - a whole week! I wasn't sure I could take it. But I was hopeful - I had been walking a lot, and the contractions were very constant, even though they didn't hurt.

Saturday morning, at 6 am I was awakened with a sharp pain in my back/side. I got up out of bed (pain does not usually do this to me!) and started walking the loop in our house. The onset of labor - I knew it. More on the birth story, the hospital, and first few days at home in subsequent posts, but for now, I am focusing on the emotional side.

My heart is actually overflowing. I cannot believe what I feel today, and the amount of love that exists in and around me. I feel lucky to be alive. I am in awe by what this world is capable of - what God, biology, humans, and all animals are capable of. It is boggling my mind to think of how life happens, begins, ends, and begins again. And our sweet little baby girl has just given me proof that this miracle really can come true.


My whole family is sleeping in the bed next to me. My amazing husband (more on him later too - I have completely fallen in love with him all over again), my adorably sweet little puppy, who first taught Jake and me about team responsibility, and now, Baby K who has shown me an entirely new side to the meaning of life. 

I am blessed. I am lucky. The stars have aligned to make something happen for us, and I could not feel more in love than I do right now.

1 comment: