Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Where I'm From

It always helps to understand where people are coming from. It uses the same brain and heart muscles as assuming positive intent.  Far too often, we don't take the time to understand where one another comes from. By this, I don't mean big family, small family, farm town, or city - but really the true makeup of WHO WE ARE.  At the retreat, we were asked to write a poem using the structure that has been used by George Ella Lyon and others. In the effort of sharing, here is the poem I wrote about myself.  I think it's a great activity for you to partake in too, on one of these lovely fall days!

I am from twin-like sisters,
The leader to "Little Miss Me Too."
I am from rental homes
And blue school buses,
Armed with mosquito nets and bunk beds,
Parked in rural campgrounds along the way.


I am from road trips to Yellowstone
Where we checked off state license plates,
Kept score in family games, 
And closely encountered the grand bison.


I am "the little girl with the big brain"
From a long line of perfectionist planners and know-it-alls,
A lover of Math AND English
Who played foursquare and hopscotch,
Jumped rope and built forts,
Spending energy competing with myself
Above all else.


I am from The GANG -
A tightly knit nuclear family
From grandparents who loved us deeply,
Celebrating Christmas Eve in Austin
Late night music, bonfires, and games
The Wires Family
That ends with my sister and me.


I am from the photographic memory
That forever keeps it etched in my mind
As though it were all just yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure that I did one of these poems in college. I will have to see if I can find mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Al! The line about the Wires family ending with you and Natalie is sad and proud at the same time. If the line had to end at all, you're a pretty great example of Wires Fabulousness. :) So glad you posted this!

    ReplyDelete