Thursday, May 5, 2011

A little help from some braces...

I'm back! After finishing up a rigorous 20 credits since September (that's a TON!) I'm here and I will be writing more.  I have lots of crazy thoughts in my head to write about!
So I'm writing this with these things on my wrists. Braces that velcro to correct my wrist motion when typing.  These things are supposed to heal any early symptoms of carpal tunnel.  My wrists have been hurting lately, so I figured it was time to get it check out.  Good thing I did!

These braces make me think about a few things.  First, it's really hard to type!  I can't pound on the keyboard the way I normally do. I'm at a disadvantage when writing papers, as I have to be more deliberate about hitting the right keys.  Plus, I hit the wrong keys a lot more - so that means more mistakes to correct.  It's frustrating!

Also - after I got the braces I got my oil changed later that day.  I went into the car shop with the braces on, as I was going to do some work on my laptop while I waited for my car.  The doctor said to wear them full work days for a week, so I knew that also meant during my car appt.  As the guy checking me in handed me the piece of paper to sign, I felt like my braces were 3 times their size, and that he was staring at them.  I felt like they were the focal point of our interaction.  I felt embarrassed, like I had this extra thing showing that maybe I was broken.  He was really nice, and probably didn't think much of them, but it made me think a lot about the people who always have some physical add-on or sign that they are not well, or that they need permanent help with things we take for granted.  Hearing aids, prosthetic limbs, headgear, leg braces, walkers, wheelchairs.  These all become part of the person, a visible sign that something is not right.  Imperfection of some sort.  It was a great reminder of my health and that while I am working to improve part of me, that I cannot CANNOT take for granted the fact that I am well.  It also made me remember that from the inside, we all want the same thing - acceptance, compassion, to love and be loved.  A little brace, medical aid, or distracting imperfection doesn't change that.  Can we just treat people as people, without showing signs of pity on our face or getting freaked out by something that's different from us?  It's definitely something I will focus more on, and something we should all aspire to do a bit more often.


No comments:

Post a Comment