Okay, so I'm going to go there. Religion, that inevitably tough topic. Why is it that beliefs about where we come from and where we're going build tension between people in such profound ways? Jake believes that organized religion is the root of all conflict. I believe he is onto something, but this makes me sad. I was raised a religious, spiritual person, and I grew up with it having a very obvious place in my life. Often now I find myself thinking about the role I want religion to play in my adult life, my marriage and my family.
Every now and then, I feel this amazing burst of passion for Christianity, and more specifically the Lutheran Church. Unfortunately, sometimes things happen that make me feel less ecstatic about the Church. This Easter was a great example of the positive feeling I have for spirituality, Christianity, being a Lutheran. Easter often gives me this kind of energy.
Growing up, I was more excited for Easter over any other service, mainly because of the music. A brass quartet. A processional with bells and swirling streamers. And a couple of key songs to start and end the service. The processional was always "Jesus Christ is Risen Today", and the recessional of choice: "Now Let the Vault of Heaven Resound" - these are songs I grew up listening to at church, making me feel refreshed, springy, free, happy. Springy, free, happy. Sometimes I say spring is my favorite (other times I say it's summer). Growing up, spring meant golf season, finishing class for the year, summer break. Now it means planting a garden, walking to my car outside, avoiding the skyways, wearing shoes without socks. Sandals instead of Uggs. These are all freeing activities!
Pastor Dan Poffenberger (who married us) talked a lot about freedom in the Easter sermon, and I was so moved that I found myself writing down his key phrases. First, check out these tulips (from the Chanhassen Arb) that ooze spring.
Pastor Dan's key phrases were all related to freedom. He often injects positivity that at times, is not prevalent in a church setting. His positivity and outlook on Christianity are always refreshing, rewarding and help keep me grounded in what it means to live spiritually. These were the nuggets I took from this Easter, which after 20+ years of Trinity Easter, I actually believe was one of the best.
Easter brings a sense of renewal, of freedom. Freedom in this sense gives us an abundance of amazing thoughts about what our lives can be -
- We are free to offer compassion when the world tells you not to. (This is HUGE for me. I see a lack of compassion far too often, and I will continue to strive for better.)
- We are free from -isms and putting people into boxes (another huge one, as we focus on less judgment, and one of my favorite key phrases: ASSUME POSITIVE INTENT! **This concept works in almost every aspect of life.)
- We are free to feel joy, love, hope - key components to a healthy, happy life.
- We feel free to remove the stone from our hearts - seriously, stop the cynicism, the judgment, the negativity towards those who are different in big and small ways.
- Christians should have this sense of equanimity - I thought this was an interesting word choice because when I looked up the word, it's about composure, calmness, and poise. At times I think calmness, inner peace is lacking for Christians, partially because we just overthink things. Equanimity must be where it's at.

No comments:
Post a Comment