Friday, January 28, 2011

Things I Won't Miss About India...

So, it's been a great month.  Fantastic, some might say.  I've loved a lot of it, learned a ton about India and myself, and taken a few great tidbits of insight away with me.  I however, will NOT miss the following things:
  • Security everywhere.  We get patted down to get on the metro, to go into the shopping mall, and everywhere my car goes, we have to stop and have a mirror on wheels check underneath the car and in the trunk.  For what, I asked? For bombs.
  • In India, they drive on the left side of the road.  This means they also WALK on the left side of people.  It sounds simple, but going up stairs, down hallways, etc, it's been tricky to remember to stay on the left!
  • Traffic, traffic, traffic.  There is no predictability!  Evern worse, I am not able to drive myself which is really frustrating.  I have to rely on others to find the way, take me places, get me there on time.  While it sounds nice, I will appreciate having my own car!
  • Feeling like I just pulled an all-nighter every afternoon around 4pm.  I'm way more exhausted! I think it's the time change, though I never really suffered from jet lag.  Not sure but it's annoying.
  • Sensory overload at all times.  The sights, sounds, smells-- these things can put you in a quick daze as it's hard to get away and find some peace and quiet to hear yourself think!
  • Due to packing for 1 month, my uber-limited wardrobe is getting annoying.  I've been wearing the same shirts and pants for 4 weeks now, and definitely ready to get home to my closet.  Yes, it makes me appreciate how many clothes I DO have at home!
  • Full service everything.  While it does sound nice, it gets old when everyone says "Yes Madam" and everyone is expecting a tip.  The guy who places my bag on the security belt, the guy who pushes the button in the elevator, the woman at the store expecting me to buy not one scarf, but five scarves.  I am independent at home so self service will be much enjoyed.
  • Ice water!  We can't have the water here, so I've been missing a nice glass of cold ice water.  Funny the little things you miss, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment