Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Table for One

Last night I committed a crime - well, according to the book Becky shared with me, Never Eat Alone, it's a crime.  I ate alone.  I requested a table for one. 

It was funny too, because at a hotel that caters to businesspeople, it's quite likely the staff is used to people asking to sit alone at the table.  But they always look a bit sadder when they help you than when you have others at your table.  Two servers asked me if I wanted a newspaper to read, and another stopped by to chat for some time.  Maybe they don't think it's sad, maybe they just want to give me company.  I honestly think it's a good skill to have... the ability to eat alone and be comfortable with it.  Not alone but with a book, or a Blackberry, but to just sit and watch the things going on in the restaurant.  It was fascinating, to have no distractions and just focus on the great food in front of me!  I mean how often do I really just get to sit and enjoy my meal, without the TV on, the (fabulous company of others), or on the phone?  Not very often.


Lucky for me I've had Drew here with me, another Target co-worker I've become friends with during this trip.  I haven't had to eat alone very often!  And the best part of the meal was that I FINALLY enjoyed some really awesome miso soup I'd been craving for a few weeks.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment