Some people ask why I'm getting an MBA. For me, it's fairly simple. I. like. school. I do! I have always been an academic. An old friend used to call me "the perfect student." I strive for good grades, I edit and re-edit my papers, I feel a sigh of relief (and sense of accomplishment) after a presentation or a test. So why business school?
Well, I've always liked business. I first realized it back in high school when my Economics teacher, Mr. Puhrmann, taught us the difference between Macroeconomics and Microeconomics by instructing us to sit at our desks, then to STAND ON our desks. Then to see the difference, we sat down again. (You guess which is which).
We're all surrounded by them - people who are dragged down by chores, tasks, errands, and other "must-do's". We get eyerolls at the grocery store, or snappy responses at the dry cleaner. Sometimes I can be that snappy person - yes, I know! But then there are people like Mr. Puhrmann, or my college Econ professor, Henry Hays, or our EVP of Property Development at Target. His name is John Griffith, and he spoke to our department this summer. He ended his speech with an inspiring moment (which I wasn't really expecting at the time). The key to happiness - the key to life: FIGURE OUT what it is you really want to do. This is the hard part. Figure it out. Then...
DO IT!
Maybe Nike was right all along.
(This is some great food for thought, and part of the reason I'm getting my MBA - it's helping me in my quest to figure out what I REALLY want to do. The other part is that truly, I just like being a student.) :)
I like the "sit at our desks" / " stand on our desks" example. Indeed! Wai.
ReplyDelete