Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Sweetest Days of Our Lives

Yes, I am completely reminded again just two years later how absolutely WONDERFUL these early days are-- I call them the sweetest days. They are truly the most precious time, albeit a sleep deprived time, but similar to a fleeting honeymoon phase of parenthood. And although we've been through this before, it's equally as special the second time around. I am just so happy and in love with this new little girl!




Today I had lunch with a good friend from work. We talked about work, he filled me in on some of the things that have been happening and general business news. And then, we looked over at sweet Katelyn in her carrier sleeping away and marveled over what really matters. At the end of the day, at the end of our lives, we're not going to look back and wish we spent more time in the office, or any time at all staying caught up on gossip and stories about people we hardly know; we're going to look back on days with these sweet faces and every single moment that we made count.


Maternity leave ticks by and with each passing day, I know that the sweetest days are a very finite set. Newborns get bigger, and they turn into roly poly babies very quickly. Nap time with that smooth skin turns into a sleep schedule, a more rigid set of routines and rules to ensure everyone is getting their rest. However, for now I'm just going to enjoy this phase and know that it keeps me centered, focused, and calm. These are traits that I picked up from raising my daughters that I will forever carry with me even when they are grown. 

And this time around it's not just about a single baby; it's about sisterhood. We couldn't be luckier than to have such a compassionate, loving big sister as Kennedy. To say she's obsessed is an understatement. Any chance she gets to hug, kiss, or hold "Baby Kate" is a chance she'll grab, and she shows no signs of jealousy or resentment towards her new family member. Even when Katelyn sneezes, Kennedy will lean over and say, "Bless you, Baby Kate." It's the sweetest thing I've ever seen, during the sweetest moments on the sweetest days of our lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment