Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Lean in, or out, or back or forth or not at all.

Sheryl Sandberg has been taking the discussion boards and book clubs by storm with her new book, Lean In. It's a feminist sort of book, and a business leadership sort of book, and it gets all sorts of rave reviews and criticism from a variety of audiences.  Here are a couple notables ones:

Sheryl definitely makes some great points in her book. I am thoroughly glad I read it and I am fascinated by her success story. Some critics think she had it easier than most because of her upbringing and mentors early in her career - I give her the benefit of the doubt on this piece because she obviously did something right to gain their support. I also don't think anyone could deny she's hardworking. I think for me - the place the book falls short - is how she describes the opportunity/cost equation of a career vs. motherhood as a purely economic equation.

At one point in the book, she explains how even if all or most of the working mom's salary is going to childcare, it's still worth paying for childcare and staying in the workforce because essentially mom is staying relevant and climbing the 'jungle gym' to success. She said you can't compare the current salary to childcare costs; you must compare the future salary that is built over time from staying in the workforce.

I get her point, economically, but Sheryl spends very little (if any) time talking about the price of those moments. The moments when my little girl reaches for me and pulls me in with a big, sloppy kiss. When her eyes light up with a sparkle when I walk through the door. When she cries for me in the middle of the night, and I go in and rock her, and she dries her tears, shoves her hand in my mouth and pinches my nose, giggling. When she communicates with me wide-eyed, signing, nodding and shaking her head. The moments when we belly laugh and tickle tummies and throats, when she throws her head back, revealing her neck for just one more. The moments when nothing else will do but reading a book in my lap.

Call me an idealist, but I truly can't put a price on these moments. And while I care very much about my career, I also recognize the importance of pressing "pause" on a lifetime of work ahead of me. This Mother's Day was a great day for me to step back, take a look at the beauty around me, be thankful, and embrace how I choose to spend most of my days - leaning into the important things in life that I'll surely look back on someday with pure joy and a smile.

I hope you all enjoyed your Mother's Day, recognizing the precious caretakers in yourself and those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment