Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Work AND Life (More appropriately titled: Life, which includes Work.)

I've always prioritized my desire to achieve work/life balance. In fact, I prefer the term work/life blending, because the two have never really been separate to me. Work is something you do. It's not just a place you go; it's a thing you do. I check emails at night or prep for a big presentation on the weekend. It's a big blob of something I am accountable for, and sometimes the blend is a little heavy on work, while other times it's a little lighter. My expert bartender husband makes me a cocktail - the vodka to lemonade ratio might be stronger one week, and might be lighter the next. Not all cocktails are the same. (So is work the vodka or the lemonade?)

I read this article and really enjoyed it. Is There Life After Work? I think there is so much talk about "Leaning In" since Sheryl Sandberg's new book, and a lot of the talk is geared towards leaning in to one's career, to the opportunities presented. While I do think there is a lot smart about jumping at opportunities, I am also focused on saying 'no' where it makes sense. Work will take as much time as I will give it. I can always do more. But in order to live a full life, I want to look at each week, month, year and feel that I have fully lived.

Here is an amazing video that depicts this notion as well: Video: 35 I don't know this guy, but I just love his outlook. While I don't have the financial ability to live frivolously in an idealistic work EVERY day (there are some boundaries, people!) I do think it's great perspective on staying grounded in what's important.

I also feel very lucky that my company allows me to work 4 days/week - that's 52 extra days a year to focus on my life outside of work!

Bottom line - my work is important to me, but it does not define me. It defines a part of me - I like accomplishing big things, stretching my brain, utilizing my strengths, and learning new things. But I am a whole person, and I am thankful for people like Erin from Lehman Brothers who share their stories so we can keep perspective and learn from them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment