Oh yes, she is a gorgeous sleeper. And sleeping she has been doing now, for a solid week! One week ago tonight was Kennedy's first real solid effort at sleeping through the night. Any new mom knows that this is a HUGE deal. I say 'effort' because although I didn't see or hold or feed her all night, she did wake up a couple times to fuss, and was able to put herself back to sleep in 10 minutes or less. That's another huge deal! We've been going strong for 6.5 months with at least one time up each night, and more like 5-10 times up each night. Anything under 4 times has been a blessing. Now, I can safely say that we've made it a week without getting up more than 3 times a night. And the average is now somewhere between 1-2!
It sounds like magic. Yes, it feels like magic too, and it was a long time coming for us. My secret (maybe it was only a secret to me?) is this book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." It is by Dr. Marc Weissbluth, a doctor who has done extensive research on sleep in children and adults. The main point: we were putting Kennedy to bed overtired and depriving her of some much needed sleep! When put to bed overtired, it is hard to sleep without extreme restlessness all night (especially for babies, but I think we can all relate.) The book was super enlightening! Babies need plenty of sleep- they will do it on their own! It's a matter of parents recognizing the drowsy state and creating optimal sleep environments and at optimal times.
So we moved her bedtime up an hour. And if she seems tired, it's up 2 whole hours from what it used to be! And her naps are happening more regularly- the entire 24/7 sleep cycle (which he explains is very key) is more predictable, more intentional, more routine. We feel this awesomely newfound freedom and commitment to sleep as a family, and it shows in all of us. If Kennedy could talk, I think she would say so too- her personality sure sparkles to demonstrate that she is well slept!
On the topic of talking, I noticed a sound tonight that sounded an awful lot like like da-da. I'm not entirely sure yet, and studies show that she would merely be making letter sounds with no association to anything yet, but I am quite sure that her daddy will be happy to hear her say it. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment