Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Value of a Pet


March 7: Today we take our puppy to school.  What kind of student is she going to be?  Will she resemble know-it-all, front-row-sitter, first-to-answer-questions Allison, or will she be more like funny, goof-off-joke-maker, really-smart-but-doesn't-always-apply-it Jake?  Maybe a combination would be best.  

A couple months ago, I wouldn't have even been thinking about these things.  I didn't understand the joy I would feel when we finally brought her home, welcomed her into our family, made her ours.  A couple years ago, Kristi moved her Yorkie, Burnsie, into my home, which warmed me up to having a dog in the house.  He did more than warm me up; he made me want my own.  But he was still Kristi's dog, and while he is amazing, he was not MINE.  

Having grown up with only a small chameleon I'd named Caymen, I'd had little to no experience with pets.  Jake had bunnies growing up, but never a dog or a cat.  I still give credit to my friend Cassie's dog, Lexie, a small chihuahua, for giving me the first glimpse into the value of a pet.  When we were playing games at their house a couple years ago, Lexie climbed onto my lap and fell asleep.  I pet her for awhile and felt this connection I had never felt before.  I realized that I was not only providing her something - comfort, warmth, human touch - but she was providing me with a great deal in return - love and compassion.  

Now with Callaway, I can't even explain it.  The love she has for me is unreal, and it really goes both ways.  She is so kind and caring, and always happy to see me, no matter the circumstance.  It's unconditional.  It has been so cool to see her gel with both Jake and me, and it's happened so quickly.  She hadn't even come home 6 weeks ago!  Each day we come in the door, she knows our voices and shows that she can't wait to spend time with us.  It's the perfect start to our little family.

Before we brought her home, Jake cringed when people referred to her as our "baby", saying, "She is a pet; I am an owner, not a parent."  It's cool to see how she's found her place in our family - and no, we're not crazy in pretending she's human, but she's definitely part of our family.

March 9: By now, 2 days after class, she's already mastered her three tricks for the week!  She runs from anywhere to the sound of her name and touches her nose to my hand; she locks eyes with me when I say "Watch me", and just tonight, she mastered the hand signal for "sit".  What do they put in those treats, heroin?!  Best student in class?  I think so.  Ready for week 2?  Definitely.


1 comment:

  1. i love that she's so smart!!! can't wait to meet her :)

    ReplyDelete