Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Goodbye, Familiarity...

I leave my job in Global Trade Services (GTS) on Friday.  That means I leave the place I've worked for the past 6 years.  6 years - that's the longest I've done anything in my life!  When I started as an Imports EIT after college graduation, I never dreamt the journey in GTS would be this long, and this fulfilling.  I have learned so much and met so many great people along the way.  A lot of those people have since moved on, and now, it's my time to move on.


People ask me how I'm feeling - I'm excited, but scared.  Scared because I do like familiarity.  I like when people know me.  I don't mean just know me, but really know me.  There's a difference.  As much as I like to pretend I'm fearless, I'm really not.


Things I am going to remember as I leave this world of GTS, and head out to another area of Target:
  • Yes, I'm still at Target!  We are one big company.  We have one culture and vision, so leaving GTS does not mean leaving all things familiar.
  • Take time to myself.  I will always be familiar with myself, so when I feel overwhelmed, spend time reflecting on the things I learned, the people I met, and how they fit into the little world of Allison.
  • Don't be too hard on myself.  Ask questions!  No question is a stupid one.  I have to remind myself of that all the time.
  • Don't forget the people who have helped shape who I am so far.  They are still there for me, I can lean on them, and they will continue to shape me going forward.
  • Be myself.  Being myself has gotten me through 27 years successfully - I have the tools and personality to make the next stage happen, too.
  • Smile, a lot.  First impressions matter a lot.  I can't say I'm a master at first impressions, more at lasting impressions.  So limp along through the first impression, make it decent, smile, be myself, and the lasting impression will come naturally. !!!
Okay big world, here we come.  There's no time like the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment