Friday, March 15, 2013

Technologically Speaking

I work as a Consultant in Organizational Effectiveness, a team focused on training and development of our various client groups. My client group is our technology department - what many traditionally know as Information Technology, or IT. I was recently talking with my boss about how the idea and reputation of IT is shifting so dramatically. I never found myself as interested in it as I do now.

People used to think of IT as payroll systems, code writers, green screens, cursors, blue screens, boxy fonts. But now - think of the biggest IT giants - they are the true innovators! Facebook. Google. Digital. Mobile. Things that are true drivers in our world today.

There is a generation being born today who will not think of IT in a traditional sense - because to them, technology will always be part of their DNA. It will support them in play, in learning and connecting. Here's a funny clip about Gen Z - which I'm not sure is definitively named that yet, but the newest generation born in 2000 or later. A Magazine is an iPad that Doesn't Work

Think about it. Our kids will naturally go to their devices, apps, web browsers, and sites to get the latest info and interact with the world. I've also joked with Jake that my first news source is Facebook. I'm not sure the old mantra "A place for friends" that Mark Zuckerberg created showed any intention for Facebook as a news source. But, nowadays, word travels fast and people post which leads me to find news stories.

It also reminds me of one of my first posts, when I talked about words that used to have narrow usage that are now in the forefront of our vocabularies. Things like "tweet" and "text" and "status" and even "like" are given new meaning, and are also suddenly very popular.

So, IT isn't really in the background. It's driving what we do, both in business and in life. It's not like "organizing the world's information" sounds like an extremely sexy task, but somehow the Google guys have made it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment