Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Exactly as it should be.

For fear of sounding sappy, I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, and am really about to burst at the seams. BECAUSE, I feel like life is exactly how it should be. I feel confident now that on a daily basis, true happiness is within my reach - that I have found this amazing combination of luck, blessings, action, and decision-making on my part to achieve happiness in the purest sense of the word. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs paints human needs into a pyramid, with the most basic at the bottom (food, water, shelter) then moving up next to safety and health, followed by love and belonging, then self-esteem and confidence, and lastly, self-actualization. I often think of the idea of self-actualization, and what it really takes to achieve it. There are lots of definitions out there, but the simplest is, "the full realization of one's potential." I think by reaching potential, one develops confidence and strength, which in turn, brings happiness.

There have certainly been times in my life when I have felt completely less than my potential, and there will be times again in the future. Confidence ebbs and flows, but I think right now I've found that being a mom has stretched me into a true place that I was meant to be. I keep saying, "I was meant to be a mom." And it's true! I can feel it. Being a mom is tiring, confusing, and frustrating at times, but I can already see how fulfilling that part of me has made me more fulfilled in other aspects of my life (i.e. work, hobbies, family, friendships). I've found a certain calm amidst this current state of chaos, and it feels great.

Being a parent doesn't help everyone realize potential. For some, it's hobbies, marriage, getting promoted, mastering a skill (like running a marathon). I love that we each have different things that make us tick. I hope that you will also take a moment to think about where you find your potential, where you can stretch it and where you can realize it. Because for this very moment, self-actualization feels really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment