Wednesday, August 15, 2012

3 Years Ago... Plus a Little Food for Thought

Three years ago was a glorious day. Not only did I get to execute the event of a lifetime (which was super cool in itself), but Jake and I got to commit ourselves to each other forever. And gosh, do I feel lucky. Not a day goes by that I doubt our decision to marry - even if some days are stressful, sleepless, and as of late, completely crazy! We are the perfect balance for each other through everything that comes our way. Of course, most recently, as parents.
Look at this face, those kind eyes!
I am so happy!
                                                             
Yes, I did love the event. I really enjoyed planning the wedding, seeing my ideas come to life!


We will continue to embark on this journey, and we are lucky to have found each other.

I also am taking a moment today to think about the upcoming vote for or against the amendment to the MN State Constitution, which if passed, would make it even harder for some very dear friends to do what many of us take for granted. There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON that people in loving, committed relationships should not be able to take those same vows to one another that we did. We're not talking about a political issue here; we're talking about a human issue. A real, human dignity issue. I grew up getting to envision my wedding and seeing it come to life. There are people today - even in the 21st century - who have not yet had this chance in their life. I'm really hoping this will change, and I really do have faith in the people of Minnesota.

If you are still deciding, I urge you to truly consider voting NO (not to limit the freedom to marry). Consider what little negative impact voting NO will have on your life. I promise you, the vote will have a much greater POSITIVE impact on the lives of many others than any parcel of negative you think you might experience. If you don't know yet where you stand, I want you to really put yourself in the shoes of others - of really wonderful human beings - and consider how important this stance for equality will be for them, for our kids and for our kids' friends. I certainly don't say it best, so here are a couple great reads: www.minnesotaforequality.com and http://www.owldolatrous.com/?p=288 (I realize the second isn't solely about marriage, but gets at the point of support for equality nonetheless.)

And, I am so happy to say: Happy Anniversary to my love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment