Written July 10th
So I can't share this with you for a couple months, but I wanted to write it now while things are brand new. This is the craziest thing that has happened to me in awhile, if not EVER! A baby?! Jake and I started talking about having a family mid last year, and while we are completely prepared, I remember saying that I just can't imagine what it will be like when the news actually comes.
Just this Tuesday, July 5, Jake and I were out at the dog park with Callie. We came home and Jake ran back out to get gas for the lawn mower. While he was out, I reached for a pregnancy test - something that had become more common in recent times. I just had a hunch - and when that horizontal line that I had come to know so well all of a sudden had a faint vertical line appearing on top of it, creating a positive sign, my heart skipped a few beats. I stared at it, then paced around the house. I clasped my hands. I talked to Callie out loud, telling her I think our family was expanding.
Jake got home shortly thereafter, saying he was going to mow the lawn. I asked him to come inside and showed him the test. He looked at me like, "What does this mean??" I told him I thought it was positive, as in the numerous tests I had taken to date, I hadn't ever seen a faint vertical line. He said, "Well, I'm going to Walgreens to get more!" and hopped back in the car.
He showed up back home with a 4-pack for good measure. I took one more test that night, then even a third the next night, just to confirm. Neither of us slept much that Tuesday night, and I went to work in a daze on Wednesday. I ran over to Crystal's house to tell her midday on Wednesday - I thought she might be home since she has the summers off from teaching. Her response? "Here, sit down and have some homemade sorbetta! It'll be good for the baby."
Thursday was the appointment with Dr. Toll, who I was excited for Jake to meet. I love her and wish she could be with me through this process, but she is not an OB so now we're searching for the right clinic for the baby. She confirmed it, and as of now, the due date is March 16! A spring baby, a St. Patty's day baby, or from the Bible, think of John 3:16. These things all come into my mind immediately.
Friday night we told our parents, which was beyond exciting for us. All four parents and two sisters were thrilled, and we now will have our very own little baby in the Wires/Matthies families for the first time. I even think Callie can tell, as she just spent the last 30 minutes sprawled out on my tummy, as if to care for and protect it. She has never laid like this before, and literally just hopped up there and laid down!
So the poppy seed is in the process of transitioning into a sesame seed right now, and we're beyond excited for every step along the way. The embryonic period has started which my app tells me is "the most dramatic and vulnerable period of development." The placenta begins to function this week, and the baby already has an amniotic sac and amniotic fluid. STRANGE.
How am I feeling? Hopeful. A bit overwhelmed. Cautious in what I'm doing, how quickly I'm preparing for things, as I try to let it all sink in. Happy to have such amazing family and friends to share the news with (both at this secret time and in the weeks to come).
So I can't share this with you for a couple months, but I wanted to write it now while things are brand new. This is the craziest thing that has happened to me in awhile, if not EVER! A baby?! Jake and I started talking about having a family mid last year, and while we are completely prepared, I remember saying that I just can't imagine what it will be like when the news actually comes.
Just this Tuesday, July 5, Jake and I were out at the dog park with Callie. We came home and Jake ran back out to get gas for the lawn mower. While he was out, I reached for a pregnancy test - something that had become more common in recent times. I just had a hunch - and when that horizontal line that I had come to know so well all of a sudden had a faint vertical line appearing on top of it, creating a positive sign, my heart skipped a few beats. I stared at it, then paced around the house. I clasped my hands. I talked to Callie out loud, telling her I think our family was expanding.
Jake got home shortly thereafter, saying he was going to mow the lawn. I asked him to come inside and showed him the test. He looked at me like, "What does this mean??" I told him I thought it was positive, as in the numerous tests I had taken to date, I hadn't ever seen a faint vertical line. He said, "Well, I'm going to Walgreens to get more!" and hopped back in the car.
He showed up back home with a 4-pack for good measure. I took one more test that night, then even a third the next night, just to confirm. Neither of us slept much that Tuesday night, and I went to work in a daze on Wednesday. I ran over to Crystal's house to tell her midday on Wednesday - I thought she might be home since she has the summers off from teaching. Her response? "Here, sit down and have some homemade sorbetta! It'll be good for the baby."
Thursday was the appointment with Dr. Toll, who I was excited for Jake to meet. I love her and wish she could be with me through this process, but she is not an OB so now we're searching for the right clinic for the baby. She confirmed it, and as of now, the due date is March 16! A spring baby, a St. Patty's day baby, or from the Bible, think of John 3:16. These things all come into my mind immediately.
Friday night we told our parents, which was beyond exciting for us. All four parents and two sisters were thrilled, and we now will have our very own little baby in the Wires/Matthies families for the first time. I even think Callie can tell, as she just spent the last 30 minutes sprawled out on my tummy, as if to care for and protect it. She has never laid like this before, and literally just hopped up there and laid down!
So the poppy seed is in the process of transitioning into a sesame seed right now, and we're beyond excited for every step along the way. The embryonic period has started which my app tells me is "the most dramatic and vulnerable period of development." The placenta begins to function this week, and the baby already has an amniotic sac and amniotic fluid. STRANGE.
How am I feeling? Hopeful. A bit overwhelmed. Cautious in what I'm doing, how quickly I'm preparing for things, as I try to let it all sink in. Happy to have such amazing family and friends to share the news with (both at this secret time and in the weeks to come).
GET EXCITED for the journey ahead!!! I know we are. :)
LOVE IT!!! I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this blog! I have to say I think I am praying for a boy though...Jake is a little outnumbered right now! Go BMB!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you! I have been waiting and waiting for new entry on this blog too! Congratulations! Wai.
ReplyDelete