Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Importance of Family... and Unconditionality

This past month, the weekends have been TO.DIE.FOR.  I emphasize that because I've gotten to spend a lot of time thinking about family and about unconditional love.  


I'm lucky to have such great family on both Jake's and my side, as well as family who isn't related by blood, but the kind of friends we call family.  Between the Wires, the Matthies, the Hovlands, the Jauntys, the Family Breakfast Table, select Ponies, past housemates, mi familia chilena, and even some Target family, I'm a lucky gal.  What is it about family that keeps us coming back for more?  


One thing that I've found important to me in relationships is unconditionality.  I'm often defensive to feedback at work - negative, critical feedback, and I've come to realize it's because it makes me feel like the relationship is conditional.  It makes me feel like I have to prove myself and even once I have, keep proving myself, because the respect and high praise might be gone in an instant.  It makes me believe that a squabble might damage a relationship or make the other person think less of me.  It makes me think that things might not always be this good between us.  


But with family... now that's a different story.  I can be free, I can wear silly clothes, dance around like a maniac, sing (or attempt to) at the top of my lungs in the car, even go without eye make up, and they love me.  We can disagree and it makes us stronger.  I can hurt them and sincerely apologize and we grow from it.  It's not gone in an instant.  These are the relationships that feed us.  They make us whole.  They make us better people.  


I always say that to reach my inner circle - you have to first see me cry.  I'm not talking tears at a sad movie, I'm talking cry because something emotionally hit me.  It's true, and I think the relationship is stronger because I finally let my guard down and put it to the test of unconditionality.  If you've seen me cry, and you come back for more, it's worth fostering a lasting relationship.  Silly?  Maybe.  But for some reason I crave those bonds.


Genuine, authentic.  These are words I hope others use to describe me.  I will forever strive to be these things.  I think this world has a whole lotta superficial going around.  And it's not all that appealing to me.  Think about it for a minute - what quality strikes you as THIS important - the way I view unconditionality?  Who fulfills those roles in your life?  I'm hopeful you can answer that - I think the answer helps you understand what you stand for and what makes you whole.


PS - Callaway models unconditionality.  If you need to understand what I'm talking about, observe your favorite furry friend.  It's impressive!



No comments:

Post a Comment