Monday, April 26, 2010

Spring at the Cabin

My computer desktop background is a gorgeous picture I took of Jake's family cabin (The Jaunty Cabin) a couple years ago on the 4th of July.  Here it is:


The first time I visited the cabin I realized it was a special place.  And every time I go back, I realize that the special just hasn't worn off.


This weekend, we had our annual girls' weekend at the cabin.  It was only April 23rd - and we were able to take a pontoon boat ride and enjoy the sunshine.  On Friday it was just my mother-in-law Lisa, her sister Jane, and Jake's cousin Liz.  The four of us settled in for what would be another fabulous weekend at the cabin, while we awaited the other 5 lovely ladies' arrival (including my mom!!!)


Spring at the cabin makes me think of a few things:


  1. Sense of renewal.  Everything is fresh, clean, clear.  This weekend I noticed that my head is clear, too.  One awesome thing about Minnesota winters (and yes, there are only a few awesome things), is that the snow melts away all the dirt and the dust from the year before.  The flowers get a new start, the animals get to come out for a new year.  It's refreshing to have that annual cycle and turn over a new leaf.
  2. Sense of excitement.  Spring is my favorite for the mere reason that it's all ahead of us.  The heat, the late nights, the weddings and parties - spring represents a sense of what's to come.
  3. Peace.  We live in peace.  Really, how many people in the world can say that?  I look out over the quiet lake and feel safe, that my world is calm.  How lucky are we to come to expect peace day after day?
  4. Family.  Jake does family differently than I grew up doing family, and to get both of ours in this lifetime is awesome.  I loved sharing Jake's family time with my mom, and I am so excited for the plethora of family times - at the cabin or elsewhere - to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment